UV disinfection technology is widely used around the world to ensure safe water free from bacteria without the use of chlorine or other unpleasant chemicals, eliminating the risk of overdosing or imparting bad taste.
A bad water test is a test that shows the presence of e.coli or coliform bacteria. Both e.coli and coliform bacteria should not be present in a drinking water supply. Any laboratory that tests water will be able to test for the presence of these two bacteria. Once it's been established that either of these two bacteria are present in a water supply, it's left to the property owner to decide how to proceed. Most rural water professionals will offer two choices when it comes to dealing with bacteria in your water: UV or Chlorine. Chlorine is an aggressive oxidizing agent. When it's added to water it very quickly attacks the tissues of bacteria or other microorganisms that might be present in the water. The trouble is chlorine also mixes with some of the naturally occurring chemicals in the water to produce harmful disinfection byproducts that end up in the drinking water.
UV, on the other hand, adds nothing to the water. It simply kills bacteria and other microorganisms as they pass by the UV lamp. Ultraviolet systems are comprised of a steel chamber into which a UV lamp is inserted. UV systems also include a power supply, sometimes called a ballast, for powering the lamp. Residential ultraviolet light water filters are usually plumbed on the main water line for a home or cottage.